Fireplaces - Gas/Direct Vent

A direct vent gas fireplace is a safe and efficient way to enjoy the ambience of a fire in your home.

Care and Maintenance Tips Cleaning

  • Refer to your manufacturer's care and operating instructions for recommendations on the type of products to use to clean your fireplace.
  • If the inside of your glass needs to be cleaned, carefully remove the screen, release all spring clips around the glass frame and carefully tilt the glass out.
  • Clean with a soft cloth and non-abrasive cleaner. It is critical not to scratch the glass and that it is re-set properly after cleaning to ensure proper seal.


  • Although the frequency of maintenance will depend on the use and the type of installation, a qualified service technician should perform a check-up prior to the beginning of each heating season.
  • When calling for service, consider that peak service season is in the late fall and winter. In the off-season quicker appointment times and reduced service costs may be available from your provider.


  • A direct vent gas fireplace only uses outside air for combustion, and then also returns all exhaust emissions back outside.
  • To ensure that all the exhaust leaves the home and no heated inside air is used for combustion, there is a sealed glass panel between the combustion area and the home.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I get a fan for my fireplace?
A: Yes. We offer a special package that includes a fan specifically designed for your fireplace as well as a hand-held remote control. If you didn’t take advantage of that option when you first bought your home, they can be sourced from a local authorized retailer.

Q: How much does it cost to operate?
A: The cost to operate will vary depending on the current rate for gas from your gas company. At current rates, your fireplace will cost between 30 and 50 cents per hour to operate. However, while using your gas fireplace, your furnace will not be cycling on as frequently and heating unused areas of your home which can potentially save you money in the winter time.

Q: Is it normal to smell an odor when burning my fireplace?
A: When the fireplace is new, it has oils and paints on the inner surfaces. This will need to “burn off”. After the first year, each fall you may also smell a “hot smell” when you first use your fireplace. This is simply any dust, carpet fibers, pet hair, etc. that may have settled on the heat exchange chamber throughout the summer and now is burning off.

Q: My fireplace feels cold on the coldest days. Is this normal?
A: Remember, your fireplace burn chamber is directly connected to the outdoors through a short vent. On the coldest days, your fireplace will be filled with cold air right behind the single pane glass panel. When not in use, your fireplace will be similar to the cold temperatures you’ll feel if you place your hands against sliding glass doors or metal door frames.

Q: Will my fireplace work in a power outage?
A: Your fireplace requires some electricity to operate. Your fireplace features a patented battery back-up system that when your fireplace power is interrupted, you can simply add batteries into the battery harness in the valve area below the fireplace. Remember to remove the batteries after the power is restored. (If you have a fan in your fireplace, the fan will not operate without power).

* If you are in a Condo residence please refer to your Condo Association Documents to verify your responsibilities, if any, for the maintenance of these areas.